Entry #9 Dude, You Really Believe That?
I turned 21 this past month and looking back on my life, I've realized that I've had the opportunity to live in a time where social media has essentially been forever. I created my first myspace page when I was only 10 years old. I try to believe that media really hasn't affected me at all, but clearly with the amount of time that I've spent on the internet, I am defined by the things I see and read on it.
There's this sort of philosophy that says that we are made up of every interaction we've had in our lives. Talking to one person could change a perspective about your entire life. However, what makes us now is what we pick and choose to believe from the internet. We pick out the things that we want to believe and claim which sources are incorrect. I've realized that we can't believe anything we see on the internet.
Just like how rumors can spread throughout high school, fake news is something that's plastered all over facebook and is something that can make such big news that it makes it onto local news as something thats true. It's something so big, that it actually needs a thread of fact checks on snopes. If you ever feel like something you're reading is just a rumor, you can fact check it here.
Although, how can you trust Snopes to give you the real deal. I mean why are we putting our trust into them? Is it because they're saying everyone else is false? What if fake news isn't really fake at all. What if people in power are creating the thought of fake news to throw the people off from investigating certain things. What if its trying to rehabilitate us into believe our government, I mean Donald Trump is the number one hater against fake news. What if he's bashing fake news so much, so that we can trust him more because we agree with him.
All I'm saying is that we shouldn't trust any form of media. I hear people say that they'll only believe something if they see it, but I see everybody believing in the stuff they see on the internet. I guess this is where flat-earthers come from, but we truly don't know anything for fact unless we experienced or created it ourselves. Everything else is a self made conclusion about what you can and cannot trust. Yes, some may be more credible by having certain ethos and logos, but everything is still opinionated in some form. The sources that one person chooses even for something that's informative may be biased and hand picked by that person. You just can't know for sure. I think everyone should always keep their mind open to the opposition no matter what media they get it from.


Comments
Post a Comment