Entry #10 I Swear Musicals Aren't That Boring
Since I've spent most of this blog talking about music, I really just wanted to share a bunch of different types of musicals with you. I know a lot of people find musicals pretty boring, but I feel like those people just haven't found the right one to watch. I mean there's a musical for everything. There's Spongebob the Musical, which I kind of find stupid, but I mean, if you find squarepant humor funny, I'm sure you'd fine this to be great.
There's also Shrek the Musical which by the way is on Netflix and then there's even a Spiderman the Musical where someone actually died during a stunt right before the performance.
Cartoon creators of South Park, Family Guy, The Simpsons, use musical numbers as comedy all the time. At one point in family guy, it seemed as though every other episode had some type of catchy and amusing performance. The creators of South Park love musicals so much that they actually wrote one called, "The Book of Mormon." They even created a video rendition of the opening title, "Hello" using their South Park characters to perform the song.
P.S. for some reason I'm not allowed to share the video, so I left a link.
To me, musicals make the most bring the most boring of subjects to life. Look at the famous musical, Hamilton. It made billions of dollars when it came out and its basically a history lesson. This isn't your typical National Geographic type stuff. Watch the opening number and I dare you to tell me that it made you bored. Also make sure to watch till the end to form an opinion.
If music can make history interesting, know that it's not only the big hit musicals that have gems like this. One of my favorites is pretty unheard of even by musical lovers, but just watch into the story of a typical crazy girlfriend who was in a bad relationship.
Just know that there's more to entertainment than the next new Superhero movie. If you're stuck on figuring the next thing you want to watch on Netflix, maybe go to YouTube and find your next favorite musical. There's always something that you'll find and in the name of Neil Patrick Harris at the Tony Awards, "It's not just for the gays anymore."

I've been to one musical and it was really fun. Good explanations this really caught my attention well done!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! I recently just got into musicals not that long ago and I think that they are so great. I chose to do WP3 on how theaters and musical influence social change. I think that a lot of musicals have deeper meaning and themes to them, which is a big reason why I am so interested in them. People who love music and stories should give musicals a chance.
ReplyDeleteIt was very fun reading your blog! I've never been to a musical, now I'm interested to try it.
DeleteExcellent new entries, Ash. You bring new, interesting topics to your audience, introducing them to fascinating and exiting elements of life. Your writing flows well, and your voice is authentic and engaging. Great visual support. Really great to read your entries.
ReplyDelete